Friday, December 23, 2011

Tip of the Day from 12/23/11: Winter Emergency Kit

This time of year, they usually run a segment on the local news about the kit that everyone here in Ohio should carry in their cars, just in case of an emergency during inclement weather. Most of them suggest carrying the same things: drinking water, a blanket, snow boots, snow brush, ice scraper, extra socks, gloves, hat, and scarf, first aid kit, pea gravel or sand, snow shovel, nonperishable food items, a flashlight, jumper cables, signal flares or cones, etc.

But few of them ever mention the things that pet owners should carry in their cars for the safety and comfort of their companions. When I put my kit together, I add the following:

1. A warm sweater or coat for each of my dogs
2. A warm blanket for each of my dogs, plus a couple extras
3. A three-day supply of kibble for each of my dogs
4. A three-day supply of water for each of my dogs
5. A three-day supply of any medications taken by my dogs (when applicable)
6. Chewies, treats, and squeaky toys for each of my dogs
7. A pet first aid kit
8. A dozen potty pads
9. An extra dog collar and lead (in case we encounter a stray)
10. A nylon pop-up dog crate
11. At least a half-dozen clean towels
12. Current vet records for each of my dogs

While I may never have to use any of this equipment due to an accident or becoming stranded away from home in bad weather, I feel a million times better, knowing that it's in the back of my car... just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment